Looking for an easy to build attractor/feeder to bring deer to your hunting spot? Look no further. Remember to check the game laws where you live before building this gizmo. Don't want to waste your time if such a thing as this is illegal.
empty coffee can with lid, 3 lb can preferred as it holds more
wire clothes hanger
1) Wash coffee can out with baking soda and water. Rinse well and let dry.
2) Cover the outside with camoflauged tape. If you don't have any camo tape, paint the outside with black, brown, grey, etc. colored paints. Paint it a solid color or make your own camo pattern. Just remember, no bright colors. You may want to wash the can out again if you paint it.
3) Drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the can just big enough for the hanger wire to go through.
4) Straighten out the hanger. Make a loop in one end a little smaller then the diameter of the can being used. Bend it in a way that the long end comes back to the center of your loop (similar to a lowercase "e") and then upward in a 90 degree angle. Stick the loose end of the wire through the can from the inside out. Adjust the loop and wire as necessary so that the can hangs straight on the wire.
5) Bend the exposed end of the wire into a loop or hook so you can hang the can securely.
6) Now take the lid and drill several 1/8 to 3/16 holes in it. Not to many though.
7) Mix together some peanut butter and molasses. How much depends upon the size of the can you use plus how often you want to refill the it. You will have to experiment a little to get the consistency that you want. You don't want it too runny or too thick. Eddie says to mix it to the consistency that you would have if you were mixing together peanut butter and honey for a sandwich.
8) Put the peanut butter mixture into the can. Attach lid and use duct tape to secure it to the can.
9) Hang the can in a shooting lane near your stand location, preferably in a sunny spot, about 4 to 5 feet off the ground. As the sun warms the peanut butter mixture it will drip through the holes in the plastic lid attracting deer. Don't forget to mask your scent while in the woods hanging your gizmo.
10) Check and refill as needed. Place well before season so the deer get conditioned to using it.
NOTE: Check your local game regulations before using this gizmo. Also the spread of Chronic Wasting Diesase (CWD) in some places has caused concern over feeding deer so keep that in mind before using.
Thanks to Eddie Williamson for this great idea.